Thursday, August 15, 2013

Classics Club Commitment

Did anyone else skip out on all of the required reading for high school? I sure did, and I missed a lot of the literature that made up a core reference point for a lot of readers.  Even for my AP English course I only read one book, Native Son by Richard Wright, and it was so good that I decided I didn't need to continue with anything else on the list.  I've made up some ground through college and the past two years post-grad but I'm still missing out on a lot of good literature. I am remedying this by joining the Classics Club.  Below are the 36 books that I will read before October 7, 2014 (my 27th birthday).  I've separated them into a few categories:

Books I've Previously Read/Attempted to Read and Didn't Understand:
  • Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
  • Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
  • Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Caroll
  • Invisble Man - Ralph Ellison
  • Slaughterhouse Five- Kurt Vonnegut
  • Death of a Salesman - Arthur Miller
  • Beloved - Toni Morrison
  • Sula - Toni Morrison
  • 1984 - George Orwell
Books I Own:
  • Emma - Jane Austen
  • Island - Aldous Huxley
  • Life of Pi - Yann Martell
  • Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
  • Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
  • Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates
  • House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
  • Mythology - Edith Hamilton
  • A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf
  • The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
  • If I Die in a Combat Zone - Tim O'Brien
  • The Collected Stories - Edgar Allen Poe
  • Julius Caesar - William Shakespeare
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Other Classics:
  • Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
  • Peter Pan - JM Barrie
  • This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Easter Parade - Richard Yates
  • The Turn of the Screw - Henry James
  • A View from the Bridge - Arthur Miller
  • Lolita - Vladimir Nabakov
  • A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams
  • The Glass Menagerie - Tennessee Williams
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglass Adams

1 comment: